Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships at University of Alberta
Social Sciences and Humanities, Natural Sciences and Engineering, and Health
$50,000 a year for three years
Canadian and International students
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies.
The Vaniers are administered by Canada's three federal funding agencies:
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
To be considered for a Vanier CGS at the University of Alberta, you must:
- intend to pursue a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) full-time at the University of Alberta in the May 2012 semester or the 2012/13 academic year.
- have completed between zero and 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2012 (ie. may not have begun the doctoral program earlier than Sept 1, 2010).
- have achieved a first-class average (equivalent to 3.5 or greater at the University of Alberta) in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent.
- be seeking financial support to pursue a first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
- be invited to apply by the University of Alberta; applicants may only be nominated to the national competition by one Canadian university.
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
How to Apply – For Students
Students must contact the U of A department and express interest in the Vanier scholarship as soon as possible.
The department and the U of A Vanier CGS Committee will perform a preliminary assessment of qualified applicants; based on these preliminary assessments, eligible candidates will then be invited to complete the tri-agency's full online Vanier CGS application and submit supporting documents. Only invited applicants are required to complete the online application.
The U of A Vanier CGS Committee will adjudicate, select and forward nominees to the national Vanier CGS competition by the national deadline.
Nominations will be considered at the national Vanier CGS adjudication with results for the 2012 competition expected in April 2012.