[Italy] 14 PhD Scholarships in Physical Sciences, University of Pisa
Art. 1 Announcement
The University of Pisa announces a competition, based on academic qualifications, for 14 grants reserved for candidates educated abroad for admission to the "Galileo Galilei Ph.D. School". 12 of the 14 grants are funded by the "Galileo Galilei Ph.D. School", while 1 grant, funded by Ministry for University and Research (D.D. 22 May 22nd, 2007 - n.251), will be assigned for study and research on the subject `'Innovative applications in Biomedical Industry'' within the Ph.D. programme in Fisica Applicata, and 1 grant, funded by the IIT institute of the CNR, will be assigned for study and research on the subject "Computer science: pervasive communication and computing security" within the Ph.D. programme in Informatica.
The selection will be based on the scientific qualifications of the candidates, bearing in mind the balance between the different areas of the School.
The Ph.D. programmes of the School are:
- Informatica (Computer science)
- Fisica (Physics)
- Fisica applicata (Applied physics)
- Matematica (Mathematics)
- Scienze chimiche (Chemical sciences)
An application for this competition does not prevent candidates from applying for the other competition based on both academic qualifications and examinations announced at www.unipi.it/studenti/offerta/dottorat/accesso/, with deadline for applications September 2008. The courses of each Ph.D. programme will start on January 1st, 2009.
Art. 2 Requirements
Applications are invited from candidates who:
- are not resident in Italy;
- have obtained abroad a secondary school qualification, giving access to University education at first degree level, and an academic qualification equivalent to the Italian "laurea specialistica", e.g. to a Master of Science degree, or expect to obtain this academic qualification before September 9th, 2008. Both qualifications must be awarded by non-Italian institutions. The equivalence of each qualification to one of the above-mentioned Italian degrees will be established (for the sole purpose of this competition) by the Academic Board of the School.
The University may exclude candidates lacking admission requirements at any time.
Art. 3 Applications and deadline
The application should be presented by submitting the attached form, which is also available on the University Web site at www.unipi.it/studenti/offerta/dottorat/accesso, and should arrive, together with the qualifications listed below, by midnight CET (Central European Time) June 30th, 2008. The date of the post mark will not guarantee acceptance.
All documents should be sent:
by mail to: Università di Pisa
Dottorato di ricerca
Via Fermi , 8
56126 Pisa - Italia
or by fax to: +39 050 2212001
In case of fax transmission, a copy of a valid identity document must be sent together with the application and a confirmation message to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that are incomplete or that arrive after the deadline (June 30th, 2008) will not be considered. Candidates should send a separate application for each PH.D. Degree course they wish to apply for.
The application form should include the following:
- personal data (name and surname, date and place of birth, place of residence, and nationality);
- contact address, e-mail address and telephone number (the candidate must immediately
- communicate any changes of these data); • educational qualification giving access to university education, and an indication of when and where it was obtained.
- academic qualification with final mark (if any) with an indication of when and where it was obtained, or alternatively a declaration that the candidate expects to obtain the requested academic qualification before September 9th, 2008.
- information on grants that the candidate may have been awarded by Italian, foreign or international bodies to attend a Ph.D. Degree course or to carry out study and research activities, indicating the starting date, the length, and the amount;
- title of the Ph.D. Degree course the candidate wishes to apply for.
- a short resume (maximum 1000 words) illustrating the scientific interests of the candidate and an outline of a possible research plan to be carried out during the Doctoral years. This research plan will not be considered binding if the candidate is admitted to the School.
The following documents must be attached to the form:
- a certificate of the academic qualification, issued by the University that awarded it; if already awarded, or alternatively (see Art. 6) a declaration that he/she expects to obtain the requested academic qualification before September 9th, 2008. In this latter case, the awarding University and the expected date of awarding must be specified.
- the degree transcript stating the examinations taken by the candidate, with marks and a short description of their content;
- a report on any research carried out by the candidate (if any);
- a list of publications (if any);
- any further qualification and information that should be taken into account.
In addition two letters of presentation by professors or experts in the field of the candidate must be sent directly by the professors or experts to the Segreteria della Scuola Galileo Galilei or by e-mail to the following address: email@example.com.
All documents must be in Italian or English, or accompanied by a translation into Italian or English. Within 60 days of the publication of the competition result, candidates will be able to recover, at their own expense, all the documents and qualifications they presented. After this period, the University will not be responsible for keeping the above-mentioned documents.
Art. 4 Grants – General rules
The duration of the University grants mentioned in art. 1 is three years. The grants cannot be combined with any other grants assigned by the Italian Government.
If the candidate already benefits from a study grant of any other kind, the Galileo Galilei Ph.D. School will decide, at its own discretion, whether or not to assign one of the above-mentioned grants after evaluating the one the candidate already enjoys. The grant cannot be assigned to candidates who have already (or even partially) benefited from a similar grant to attend another Ph.D. Degree course or an equivalent course (of the University of Pisa or of any other Italian University or Italian Ph.D. programme). The gross amount of each study grant for the year 2009 is fixed at € 10.561,54. 2
The winners of the competition will receive a contribution of € 200,00 per month for lodging expenses and a contribution towards relocation costs up to a maximum of € 1.000,00, funded by the "Galileo Galilei Ph.D. School". The winners are exempted from paying university fees.
Art. 5 Admission
The grants mentioned in art. 1 are assigned by the Academic Board of the School, on the basis of the evaluation of the academic qualifications of each candidate.
The list of named winners and of those who may be considered as eligible if places become free will be published on the Web site at www.unipi.it/studenti/offerta/dottorat/accesso by July 28 th, 2008. Any candidate named as a winner whose certificate of academic qualification has not been received will be considered to be a winner only conditionally, subject to the qualification certificate being received by September 9th 2008. No personal communication of the competition result will be given.
Art. 6 Enrollment
The winners must enroll, under penalty of exclusion, no later than September 9th 2008, by sending the following documents to the to the Università di Pisa Ufficio "Laureati" - Dottorato di ricerca via Fermi 8 56126 Pisa - Italia or by fax to: +39 050 2212001:
- the enrollment form, which is available on the University Web site at the following address: www.unipi.it/studenti/offerta/dottorat/accesso;
- a photocopy of an identity document;
- one passport-size photograph;
- a certificate of the academic qualification issued by the University that awarded it, if not already sent together with the application.
In any case the winners must send a message confirming the sending of the documents to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org together with the application. If named winners fail to enroll, the Academic Board of the School may formulate a new list of named winners from the list of those have been considered as eligible in the first selection. This list will be published on the Web site at www.unipi.it/studenti/offerta/dottorat/accesso by September 20th, 2008.
These additional named winners must enroll, under penalty of exclusion, no later than October 8th 2008, by sending the required documents as specified at the top of Art.6.
Art. 7 Information and announcement advertising
This announcement is published on the University Web site at
www.unipi.it/studenti/offerta/dottorat/accesso. For further information, please contact the Ufficio "Laureati" (via
Fermi 8 - 56126 PISA):
Office hours: Monday/Wednesday/Friday: from 11:00 to 13:00;
Tuesday/Thursday: from 9:00 to 11:000.
In August: The office will be closed from August 11st to August 22nd.
The office hours will be published on the web site at www.unipi.it/studenti/offerta/dottorat/accesso.
Telephone: +39 050 2212078, Fax: +39 050 2212 001, e-mail:email@example.com