[Belgium] VLIR-UOS Scholarships 2010 for Developing Countries
VLIR-UOS awards scholarships to students from developing countries so that they can follow a training and master's programme in Belgium. These scholarships cover all related expenses. Every year, VLIR-UOS awards up to 180 scholarships to first-year master's students and 70 scholarships to training participants
The master's programmes, lasting one or two academic years, focus on specific problems of developing countries. These are designed to enable graduates to share and apply acquired knowledge in the home institution and country.
The scholarship selection is carried out by a joint selection commission of VLIR-UOS and the host university. The host university – not the applicant! – forwards the applications for a scholarship to the VLIR-UOS secretariat after the academic admission. The VLIR-UOS scholarship criteria are taken into consideration. These criteria consist of, on the one hand, qualification criteria which need to be fulfilled in any case by all scholarship applicants and, on the other hand, of selection criteria that are evaluated by the selection committee. The VLIR-UOS scholarship criteria can be found in a download at the bottom of this page.
All applicants will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of their application. Applicants, who are accepted both academically and for the scholarship, will be contacted by e-mail by VLIR-UOS and the host university at the latest on 15 May 2010. Applicants who are not selected academically will be informed by the host university.
- Master's programme: 1 February 2010
- Training programme: 1 February 2010 except the training about the Great Lakes (30 November 2009)
How to Apply
- Choose ONE training programme or ONE master programme you wish to apply for. Notice that YOU CAN APPLY FOR ONLY ONE PROGRAMME FOR THE COMING ACADEMIC YEAR, so choose carefully! You cannot increase your chances by trying to apply for more than one programme, as the system will not allow you to apply for more than one programme. Should you try to apply for more than one programme, your data will appear more than once in our central database and all your applications will be inadmissible;
- Fill in your data in the tool (prescreening form) provided on this website, at the bottom of the page that gives more information about the programme you choose to apply for from the list of programmes of international training or master's programmes;
- Upon completion of the input of your data, you will automatically receive an e-mail with a link to the correct application form from the host university that is organising the programme you choose;
- Applications should no longer be sent to the VLIR-UOS Scholarship Office. They should be sent directly to the host university where the programme is organised. Applications sent to VLIR-UOS will not be considered;
- The application form, together with all required documents (instructions can be found on the application form from the host university), should reach the admission office from the host university where the chosen programme is organised before the application deadline;
- Applications that are incomplete, illegible or that reach the admission office from the host university after the deadline will be automatically rejected.
Only residents and nationals of the following countries are eligible for a VLIR-UOS scholarship:
Africa: Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique,
Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Asia: Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Palestinian Administered Areas, Philippines, Vietnam
Latin America: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru, Surinam
Click here for more information about VLIR-UOS Scholarships 2010 for Developing Countries