[Australia] International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarships (IPCS) from Faculty of Arts the University of Sidney
Deadline: October 10, 2010
The Faculty of Arts offers scholarships to outstanding international students undertaking a postgraduate coursework program in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Sydney. These scholarships cover the tuition fees for the whole degree program in which the applicant is enrolled.
Scholarships will be available for all postgraduate coursework Master degree programs in the Faculty of Arts.
- have received an unconditional offer of admission to a Masters by coursework program in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Sydney. This means that applicants must have met the Faculty's English language requirements, as well as academic admission requirements. For more information on English language requirements, please visit the International Office website.
- have a minimum of 7.0 IELTS (overall) or equivalent if they are from a non-English speaking background
- be commencing postgraduate study at the University for the first time
- be a citizen of a country other than Australia and New Zealand, and may not hold permanent residency in Australia
- NOT be in receipt of any other tuition fee scholarship
Applicants will appreciate that there is strong competition for these scholarships. Selection is based on academic merit, including excellent results in the applicant's English language test. Applicants should provide a statement regarding why they want to undertake their chosen program at the University of Sydney, and what they hope to achieve following graduation. Please note: It is very important that applicants make clear the degree for which they are applying.
These scholarships exempt students from the international student tuition fees for the duration of the program.
Items NOT covered by the IPCS include:
- A living allowance
- Travel or relocation costs
- Overseas fieldwork costs
- Visa application fees
- Tuition fees for any units beyond those required for the completion of the degree
- Text books
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Other forms of insurance
Scholarships are awarded on the basis that the student will commence study in the academic year for which it is offered, and for the program in which a place has been offered in the Faculty of Arts. A scholarship holder may defer commencement of the program of study, and of the award of a scholarship, for only one semester, and then only under exceptional circumstances.
The scholarship is limited to the standard duration of the course of study (generally this is 8 units of study except 12 units for the Master of Translation Studies). An extension of the scholarship is possible if the student's program is upgraded to the degree of Master of Letters (offered in limited, not all, subject areas) and provided an extension of visa has been approved by the Australian Government.
Scholarship holders may in special circumstances take leave of absence from their scholarship for a maximum of one semester. Students must check their visa conditions before applying for leave; and they must apply for permission in advance of taking such leave.
These scholarships cannot be transferred from one institution to another, nor from the Faculty of Arts to another faculty in the University of Sydney. Scholarships might be transferable to another program within the Faculty, with the Faculty's permission and appropriate departmental approval.
Termination of Scholarships
Scholarships will be terminated:
- if the student fails to meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the conditions
- if the student fails to make satisfactory progress in the program
- when the student ceases to be enrolled as a full-time postgraduate coursework student at the University of Sydney
- if the University determines that the student is guilty of serious misconduct, including, but not limited to, having provided false or misleading information
- if the student does not resume study at the end of a period of approved leave
- if the student is granted permanent residency in Australia. Students must immediately advise the International Office and the Faculty Office about any changes to their visa status
- upon the death, incapacity, resignation or withdrawal of the student from the program of study.
How to Apply
Please note: The Faculty of Arts International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarships are available ONLY for postgraduate coursework degrees undertaken at Master level in the Faculty of Arts.
There is no application form for these scholarships. If you are interested and eligible to apply, please submit a personal statement with your application for admission to a postgraduate coursework degree in Arts. This personal statement should briefly set out your academic and extra-curricular or professional achievements (you must also provide original or certified academic transcripts with your application), and outline why you want to undertake your chosen course at the University of Sydney, and what you hope to achieve following graduation.
Please note: It is very important that applicants make clear the degree for which they are applying.
- For applicants intending to commence study in Semester 2, (July) 2010: 30 APRIL 2010
- For applicants intending to commence study in Semester 1, (March) 2011: 30 OCTOBER 2010
All applications for admission to the University should be addressed to:
Admissions Officer - Arts Postgraduate
Jane Foss Russell Building - G02
University of Sydney
For further information about applications for admission to a postgraduate coursework degree in 2010, please see the International Office website.