Asian Scholarship Foundation
What is the Asian Scholarship Foundation?
The Asian Scholarship Foundation (ASF) is an Asian-led non-profit organization funded by a grant from the Ford Foundation that is mandated to:
- strengthen regional capacity to produce scholarly research on Asian societies;
- create a network of Asian specialists on Asian Studies in Asia;
- develop a regional perspective among scholars working in the field of Asian Studies.
ASF makes it possible for young and middle-level scholars, researchers and professionals to undertake a research project or make a study, to conduct seminars and workshops, to help build a network of Asian scholars in Asia in the field of Asian Studies and/or to write papers on the Arts, Culture, Humanities or Social Sciences in another Asian country in any of the grant categories described here.
Goals and Objectives
The principal goal of the ASIA Fellows Awards is to increase the overall awareness of intellectual resources in the countries of Northeast, South and Southeast Asia and to contribute to the growth of long-range capabilities for cross-regional knowledge sharing. The ASIA Fellows Awards seek to develop regional expertise, establish a multilateral network of Asian specialists from many disciplines, professional fields and countries, stimulate interdisciplinary research and inter-societal comparison, and contribute to new developments within existing area studies communities. The awards offer opportunities for outstanding young and mid-career Asian scholars, and professionals to gain knowledge of the countries in the region and an understanding of the contexts that shape global and regional issues through research. They enable the awardees to conduct research in a participating Asian country for six to nine months.
- Citizens of and residents in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, the People's Republic of China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, the Republic of Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Master's/Doctoral degree or equivalent professional training and experiences (minimum of 3 years of university teaching experiences for scholars or 5 years of work experience for professionals.)
- Applicants must be 45 years old or younger at the time of the application deadline. However, those up to 50 years old proposing to do research in the field of Humanities may be given special consideration.
- Proficiency in English or in the language of the host country appropriate to the proposed research project.
- Those who are currently enrolled in a degree program, or have just completed a degree program for less than one to two years will not be eligible to apply. Those who were a recipient of a Ford Foundation fellowship grant within the last two years prior to the application is also ineligible.
Regional Review Committees composed of leading scholars from participating countries conduct an initial review of the applications. In mid-March, short listed candidates are interviewed by the review committee for their region at meetings in Beijing, New Delhi, and Bangkok. (The Asian Scholarship Foundation covers the travel expenses of short listed candidates.) The applications of recommended candidates are then forwarded to the multi-regional Board of Directors which will make the final selection of ASIA Fellows Awards recipients by May each year.
Please send completed application materials to the ASF office or affiliate offices in the country or region of your citizenship:
For Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Laos, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand, send to:
ASIA Fellows AwardsAsian Scholarship Foundation (ASF)
29 Vanissa Bldg., 4th Fl.Chidlom, Ploenchit Rd., PathumwanBangkok 10330, Thailand.
Tel: (66-2) 655-1615-7
Fax: (66-2) 655-7977
For the People's Republic of China, send to:
ASIA Fellows Awardsc/o Institute of International Education (IIE),
Beijing OfficeHuatong Building A Room 439,Che Gong Zhuang Xi Road#19A, Beijing 100044, CHINA
Tel: (86-10) 6848-6213 ext. 23
Fax: (86-10) 6848-6215
For Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan, the Republic of Maldives, Sri Lanka, send to:
ASIA Fellows Awardsc/o University of Pennsylvania Institute for the Advanced Study of India (UPIASI)
India Habitat Centre (Core 5A, 1st Floor)Lodi Road, New Delhi110003, India
Tel: (91-11) 2460-4126/7
Fax: (91-11) 2460-4126
For Indonesia, send to:
ASIA Fellows Awardsc/o Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF)
Menara Imperium, 28th Floor, Suite B
Metropolitan Kuningan Superblok Kav 1Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said
Jakarta Selatan 12980, Indonesia
Tel: (62-21) 831-7330 ext.18/19
Fax: (62-21) 831-7331
For the Philippines, send to:
ASIA Fellows Awardsc/o Philippine Social Science Council (PSSC)Commonwealth AvenueDiliman, Quezon City
Metro Manila 1101, Philippines
Tel: (63-2) 929-2671, 922-9625
Fax: (63-2) 924-4178, 922-9630
For Vietnam, send to:
ASIA Fellows Awardsc/o Center for Educational Exchange with Vietnam (CEEVN)
So 5, Ngo 2, Giang Van Minh
Tel: 844-723-6825 to 6